Wednesday, November 15, 2006

desperate times call



The second I realized it I wanted to shoot myself.

Wait. Poor choice of words.

Let me start over: Anthony and I were walking back to the car from the mall. He was hugging the big plastic bag with half water, half air, and his brand new pet goldfish, grinning like a 7-year-old boy is supposed to grin. This is great, I thought. Getting him a goldfish was a great idea. He hasn’t smiled like this since the funeral.

That’s when I realized it. The idea poured into my slow dumb brain like molasses.

You don’t cheer up a little boy whose mother just died by getting him a pet with a life expectancy of five days.

4 Comments:

Blogger Arnie said...

This may be my favorite. The picture really creeps me out in a good way.

10:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow. Arnie got to it first... but I agree. This is right up at the top.

12:12 AM  
Blogger crabbydad said...

Yeah, nice uplifting story/image for the holidays.

Nice work.

9:43 AM  
Blogger Lacy said...

the fact that her lifeless body is missing one shoe is almost enough to start a whole new post.

10:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home